Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My time living in the desert and becoming Morongobill.

For 16 years I worked as a field service representative in the supermarket sanitation industry.
I drove company cars or vans the whole time and my company did not care where I lived as
long as I could cover my territory which extended from Catalina Island out to Las Vegas, Nevada.
I called on each store about once every six weeks.

I started thinking about living in the desert seriously around 1998 or so and every time I'd go up to the Victorville
or Yucca Valley area I'd pick up all the real estate books for study. I did this for 2 years and finally bought this place in Morongo Valley on 2 1/2 acres in 2000:




This was a 2 bedroom and 1 bath house that had 2 wood stoves and also a small propane wall heater.
A wash ran along the left side, to the left of the car in the photo. The kitchen was on the left side, looking
out that window one morning while drinking coffee at the kitchen table, I felt movement outside rather
than saw it, and outside about 6 or 7 coyotes froze in the wash. They looked at me, I looked at them,
and they just vanished into the brush.

Another time, I looked out the window as 2 huge german shepherds chased a coyote right outside in the wash, giving up the chase right out the window. They looked so wore out, tongues hanging out as they lifted their legs in unison, leaving their scent markers. The coyote was sitting on a little mound about 50 yards past,
I swear he looked like he was smiling. And without a backwards look, he sauntered off. Unbelievable but true.

The next coyote story happened when I was out here at my garage loading my van one evening:
  
I had been out there organizing the van after loading it, cutting up boxes, cleaning up and
suddenly down hill about 100 or so yards away, a large coyote group broke out into a group
chorus of yips, yowls, weird sounds that out in the garage at night started making me a little nervous.
I told myself nothing to worry about, coyotes don't attack humans, and the sounds suddenly were a
lot closer, as in just beyond the edge of the garage lights, and I still told myself, "I'm not scared,
but I remember something that needs to be done, right now, in the house!"
 


The photo above was the view out my front door looking into the general direction
where the coyotes were partying.

I lived at the end of a very rough dirt road, actually more of a 4wd trail, and after a couple
of years of going up and down it, listening to all the tools,equipment boxes, supplies rattling
back and forth in the back of my cargo van, I had enough and decided to list the property
for sale. It sold in 2002 I believe and then I moved up the road to the little village of Joshua
Tree in a tiny house on a paved road... which will be a subject for a future post, but in the meantime
here is a photo from the JT house.
  
Until we meet again, vaya con dios my friends.
  

Please your comments are welcome as always,
Morongobill




No comments:

Post a Comment