Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees

Shaun over at the Mojave Desert Blog posted a thought provoking article the other day
entitled "Mojave Desert Future on the table", you can read it here:
http://www.mojavedesertblog.com/2010/02/mojave-desert-future-on-table.html

His post got me to thinking immediately about the danger presented to the Mojave
National Preserve and I went to the BLM Geocommunicator site and created an energy
map centered on Kelso Depot, and put in data such as proposed energy corridors, potential solar and wind, transmission lines, etc. and came up with this map which I will show enlarged here:

The big green area in the middle is the MNP, Kelso is right in the middle. Stateline is at the top right, that is where both Ivanpah solar projects as well as the airport will be built if given the go ahead. I-40 runs left to right along the bottom boundary of the preserve, and Route 66 runs below that, left to right as well, when it doesn't run with I-40.

As you can see, the preserve is surrounded, nearly on all sides, as I posted in my comment to Shaun's post.

I confess, that sometimes I am not objective when I ponder the preserve and my judgement is cloudy
sometimes...and I can't see the forest for the trees! 

Now it's clear to see, after thinking about it, that the preserve and the rest of the Mojave desert are,
one and the same, one needs the other, what affects one has big effects on the other, that's
just the way it is.

Perhaps where you live, a fight is brewing over development in a scenic or wilderness area- maybe
someone wants to put a road through, or build giant windmills, or bulldoze land to put in a massive
solar farm. Understand going in, just like Shaun mentioned in his post, that they cry " it's a jobs bill"
or "don't let desert tortoises stop progress" or "it's only useless desert land"etc. Before you decide
to ignore it and go back to your tv show, golf game,whatever, how about taking a drive out if the area is close. Take a camera. Snap some shots. Face the breeze, take in the sights, sounds, smells, look 
around.... what will it look like a couple years from now if the development is allowedwhat will that
do to the area and people's enjoyment of it, and then think about yourself and if you care and if you
think that one person working with others, can make a difference.

I hope all is going well for everyone, hope you enjoyed the visit, and please tell a friend to drop in also
here on the backporch. I'll make sure I have extra coffee on hand, but it may be "cowboy coffee".

Vaya con dios, my friends.


Morongobill


No comments:

Post a Comment