Sunday, March 28, 2010

At long last, the creosote ring and tortoise burrow videos!

This is a followup to my 2 part post about my hike to the BrightSource Ivanpah
#2 and #3 sites on March 24, 2010.

#18 I find a desert tortoise burrow next to a creosote growth ring.

#28 This is where I discover the desert tortoise condominium complex.

#30 I find a large barrel cactus growing in a creosote growth ring.


It has been a few days since I made this hike. Enough time has passed
to heal most of my leg and foot stiffness and I am ready to start thinking
about the next challenge.

Next time I believe I will look at a renewable energy site that is closer to the
freeway with a lot less cross-country hiking involved.

I have such a site in mind.

But it will have to wait for a while, at least until I can buy another set of hiking
boots or shoes, the ones I wore to stateline have almost given up the ghost!

Folks, the next is hard for me to admit. I don’t think I can make another big hike
under the same conditions as the BrightSource Ivanpah required. I really came close
to having to call for help, thank the Lord, there was cell reception and that I made it
back to my car. If I do, I will not do it alone. It is fun to do these but it’s time to face
the fact that I am 55 and a little out of shape, I may have to leave the cross-country
hiking to the younger set, we will see.

Anyway, enough belly aching, I hope you enjoyed the trip report and videos,
perhaps someone has become open to a different view point, like a recent commenter
on my site, we just keep going, pointing out that there are lots of sites closer to
the end user on junk land, that could host these power plants, maybe one day the
message will sink in to the policy makers, and we can relax in our vigilance.

Until that day comes, we will go on here at the backporch and as always we welcome
your comments here, after all this is our community here at this blog, yours and
mine, and we look forward to the visit again in the future.

Vaya con dios, my friends.

Morongobill

 

No comments:

Post a Comment