Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Globe Mine Road photos- Mojave National Preserve-and some thoughts.

This post is the result of a chat I had last night with someone who wanted
some information on places to visit in the MNP, in keeping with our informal
privacy policy here, I’ll just say he has made a comment on this site.

Anyway the talk got me thinking again about a post I made previously where
I talked about a short day trip visit here. See that post here:
http://morongobillsbackporch.blogspot.com/2010/02/suggested-route-change-for-your-next.html

Outside of Kelso Depot on Cima Rd a mile or so up is the Globe Mine Rd. You turn
off Cima Rd and go up and over the double railroad tracks. At the bottom, the road splits into two dirt tracks. The right dirt road I believe heads to the base of the mountains
in the distance, the one heading left makes a circuitous route for several miles going along near the mountain base and ending up at an entrance blocked by wilderness marker
boundary posts, I believe the road ends up at the old Globe Mine. There is also a spring
up there somewhere as well.

A quick internet search with this syntax”globe mine road+drycyclist.com” confirmed
my memory, yes there is a spring up there somewhere, Coyote Springs, see this
link for photos of the area and a great trip report!
http://mojave2008.drycyclist.com/to-coyote-springs/
I believe I may have said this before on this blog, but it is worth repeating, for informative,
boots on the ground or bicycle tires on the road trip reports, photography, and just
really interesting writing, I highly recommend my friend’s site as a “must visit”
www.drycyclist.com

So where were we, yes, Globe Mine Road. What an awesome mountain backdrop
at this dirt road turnoff. May I give an example?
archivecd16 135

This is what you see when you come up and over the railroad tracks. The railbed is
elevated, when you are at the bottom, you can not see the other side. Good news if
you have a sudden “call of nature”.

These photos were taken circa 2003 or 2004 while I still worked for the chemical
outfit as you can see by the cargo van in the below photo taken at the same place.
archivecd16 118 In rec Recently, I have been thinking that a high clearance cargo van like the one above
might be the perfect desert escape vehicle. I know it’s not 4wd but it sits high and should
go through all but the deepest sandy spots on the dirt roads. For this blog, considering
possible solar or wind site visits, the van would be a lot better than the morongomobile.

Here are a few more shots from the same area or very close to it.

archivecd16 110

Here is another one of my “artsey” type photos from the time.
archivecd16 204

As I wrote earlier, if you continue up the left branch of the dirt road you get closer to the
mountain and the wilderness area. Here is a photo from the area up there a few miles.
archivecd16 148

And another one previously published in another blog post.
archivecd16 145

Sorry about the blurry watermark above, still haven’t got the hang of Windows Live Writer yet.

And now a special treat for my visitors. From the Morongobill’s Backporch Time
Capsule Vault, I have found previously unpublished photographs pertaining to this
previous post, an oldey but a goodie here:
http://morongobillsbackporch.blogspot.com/2010/01/i-have-bone-to-pick-with-mohave.html

nipton1

This pic above is similiar to one in original post, but better framed.

nipton2

Of course, as mentioned in the original post, all these historical artifacts are
gone now, gone forever. I, for one, mourn their removal from the scene. One
day you’ll be able to go there though and see thousands of heliostats across the
land from the Ivanpah and Nextlight projects in the distance. :-(

nipton3

Here is a photo showing where the heliostats will be shortly behind the car in the photograph.
archivecd18 047

Well folks, what a stream of consciousness post, a trip down my own personal memory lane. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Maybe it wasn’t the best writing or photography but it sure felt good presenting it.

A note to the young people out there. Please consider a visit to the Mojave National
Preserve. Also please consider getting involved in the effort to save this truly beautiful
preserve which belongs to you as well as us older folks. We’d love to see you there!

As ever, thanks for hanging out on the backporch and we look to hearing from you in
the comments.

Vaya con dios, my friends.

Morongobill

No comments:

Post a Comment