Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Mojave Cross decision in!

A big thank you to Chris over  at www.faultline.org for posting this
right away on his blog.

There are several wire service reports out, here is a link that I found
helpful.
http://www.pe.com/ap_news/California/US_Supreme_Court_Mojave_Cross_495564C.shtml

I agree that the Supreme Court justices(5 for it) sent a pretty strong signal
that they believe the cross should stay up as the article states.
teutonia peak hike-mnp 070

I look at this from a historical perspective. This cross has been up there way longer
than most of us have been alive. Its’ purpose and reason for being up there on top
of Sunrise Rock was to honor the veterans who died in World War One over in Europe,
those who gave that last, full measure of devotion. As I stated in one of my previous
posts, if some of the veterans were jewish or muslims, look at the picture, there’s room
on both sides for the star of David and the Crescent, add them if needed.

To those that say church and state absolutely must be separate, may I suggest you
you look on the back side of the money in your pocket? It says "IN GOD WE TRUST”.
Or go into virtually any court room in the country or look at the frieze up on the building
outside, like at the Supreme Court, there are religious symbols up there and I am so
sorry to tell you this, they are not coming down. Period, end of story.

So let’s reflect on this for a while. I for one am very grateful for this decision. The Mojave
Desert Cross, to me, has become part of Sunrise Rock and of the Mojave National
Preserve, part of the legend and lore of the place, and can only add to the beauty of the
location, at least to these eyes. I look forward to another visit there soon.

My only suggestion to the park service would be to not allow camping right adjacent to
the area, as that has a possible negative impact on people that might wish to visit the cross.
I mean come on, it’s really noisy there at the roadside when cars drive by, so maybe
rv’ers and others should consider camping at locations farther off the beaten path.

What are your thoughts and feelings about the cross? Should it stay or go? We’d love
to see your opinions here, just click the small envelope at the bottom of the post and
write your comments.

Vaya con dios, my friends.

Morongobill


No comments:

Post a Comment