Sunday, August 29, 2010

A depressing post.

I just surfed over to Basin and Range Watch to see their latest Ivanpah post.
It is a followup to the one they did about the tortoise fencing found on their
recent visit of August 23rd to the site. You can read their post here.

As I scrolled down the page looking at all the photos and reading the descriptions,
it really started to sink in that we are about to lose this wonderful scenic area
unless a miracle occurs. The thousands of wooden stakes now in place are
strong evidence that a big change is coming, and coming soon.

Long time readers remember that I took two field trips here in March of this year,
and I know those areas that are staked out. I remember the cross-country hikes
which even though you strive to go in a straight line, you end up going this way and that to avoid all the abundant plant life, or the rocks etc left by all the floods that have come
down the fan from Clark Mountain as the water makes it way down field to the dry
lake bed. I remember seeing the wild burros and hearing their snorts and avoiding
their “road apples.”I guess they better be thinking about moving on, because pretty soon
they will be rounded up, who knows maybe for the glue factory, or even shot by marksmen.

I remember standing atop the left end(more easily climbed) of the metamorphic hill and
coming upon a hoof mark deep in a spot of soft soil surrounded by loose rock on top of
a hard surface, and thinking that I might have been the only human in the whole world
to see it. And looking out in all directions, toward the freeway and the Mojave Preserve
and toward Clark Mountain and the two wilderness areas, thinking what a wonderful
vista such as I had never seen, and sadly knowing that one day soon, it would be covered
with over one hundred thousand heliostatic mirrors.

I’m sorry, I can’t go on.

http://morongobillsbackporch.blogspot.com/2010/03/visit-to-brightsource-ivanpah-solar.html

http://morongobillsbackporch.blogspot.com/2010/03/visit-to-brightsource-ivanpah-2-and-3.html

http://morongobillsbackporch.blogspot.com/2010/03/visit-to-brightsource-ivanpah-2-and-3_26.html

Folks, we really need you to email or write the CEC as I posted about earlier. Any effort
helps as it appears that this finally may be the last summer at Ivanpah for the desert
tortoises and the other plants and animals who have called this their home for millennia.

Morongobill

No comments:

Post a Comment