Saturday, November 13, 2010

Like Sisyphus, are we just pushing the rock uphill, only to have it keep rolling back down? Are there reasons to hope that we can save the Mojave?

Since beginning this blog last January, I have discovered that there are a wealth of worthy
causes to get involved with- such as stopping the production of animal cruelty videos, as
written of here,yesterday.

The cause that this blog has been most concerned with, has been attempting to stop the
industrialization of the east Ivanpah Valley- which has begun in earnest with the groundbreaking at BrightSource Energy’s Ivanpah SEGS and approval now granted for another solar project across the dry lake bed on the Nevada side, plus transmission line
upgrades are planned, as well as high speed rail.

Since the Ivanpah Valley, a completely functioning total ecosystem, is an integral part of the Mojave desert and the Mojave National Preserve, it has been a primary focus here.

Several bloggers and other writers, have spotted the energy development crosshairs being trained on the Mojave, and have been writing, often in beautiful prose, about the
situation out there. Unfortunately, to this point, nothing really seems to be catching on with
the general public, so far at least. The mainstream media mostly has ignored it, perhaps if
Lindsey or Brittany were involved, it might be different.

As hard as it is for me to stomach, it appears that Joe Public either doesn’t know about this, or if they do, just don’t care. Perhaps the other side is just doing better at getting their
side out- which they say is jobs-jobs-jobs. Hard to argue with that in the midst of the Great
Recession, that’s for sure.

As written here several times, we opponents of this process are playing against the house,
and the house’s dealer is using a marked deck. The renewable energy interests have almost
all the media coverage, access to and control of the levers of power, and control of the money. They seemingly also have unprecedented access and entree to the most important environmental groups, up to and including having some of those groups higher ups involved
in setting up the very trap that the wilderness is in as we speak.

To say that the future of the Mojave is bleak if events keep playing out as they are now, would
be the understatement of the century.

I have thought about these things often, writing about them here on this blog and as comments made on other sites as well as news articles. Recently I wrote about perhaps the people solving the issue of energy development in this state, by way of the ballot box, an idea met with total indifference judging by the ho- hum response.

Growing up in Georgia, I always heard you can lead a horse to water but can’t make him drink. Trust me, I totally understand the wisdom of that saying right now.

They say you can’t go through life tilting at windmills. Being motivated not by money and
hoping just to make a difference, I must confess it is with dismay that I seem to be making absolutely no difference at all.

So it seems to me that unless I want to emulate Sisyphus, I need to make some sort of change in my approach. What change? Hell this is the first time that I have ever done this,
I haven’t a clue. But note this, all you high muckedy mucks from the industrialist’s side that
keep auditing this blog, whatever I do will be legal, and ethical. And I will not sell-out the wilderness or its’ defenders.

The backporch is just a little “pissant” of a blog, nothing special, one of literally millions out
there right now. However, I have tried to keep it real and honest. Perhaps sometimes I have been a little too “earthy” but that’s in my nature at times. A little strident at times, yes I have
been accused of that in my lifetime. Mostly self taught in the ways of the blogging and environmental political worlds, with a little help and guidance at different points in this journey
which I am extremely grateful for; I am aware that at times I have made mistakes and pissed
off a few people.If my bull in the china shop zeal for the cause has offended some, I apologize.

But I stand 100% behind some of my predictions and some of my outsider surmises at people’s motivations. I think in 56 years that I have learned a thing or two about human nature, ambition, and yes, hubris. And I have found it in spades in this modern day update of the ancient greek tragedies being played out from the Mojave to our imperial capital to Sacramento.

I say without reservation and without equivocation, for the umpteenth time, that the industrialists and their “carbonmentalist” enablers, and without impugning their motives, have
made the decision that the deserts must be the sacrificial lambs, to be slaughtered at the
altar of carbon reduction, so that this global warming and climate change can be stopped.
In other words, they are ready, willing, and able to destroy the carbon sequestrating desert soils and all the plants and wildlife, so that we can save the planet from carbon buildup. Or as
Rory Reid would say and I am paraphrasing, we got to saw down and chip up and burn in our new biomass plants, the million or so acres of junipers and pinyon pines in Nevada on public land. The absolutely dumbest, son of a bitching thing that I believe I have ever
heard and I have heard some real doozies in my life, trust me.

That smugness and arrogance on these elite’s faces, that is what is motivating the Morongobill
now in conjunction with saving the deserts and wilderness. I want to see those smug faces wiped clean. Period. Heh, we all got to have a reason to keep going, that’s as good of one as I have heard from anybody else. By persisting in tilting at that particular windmill or in other
words, continue rolling that big rock up the hill, regardless of whether or not it rolls back down, perhaps at some point I, hopefully with some help, we can together make a difference
in the struggle to save the desert from its’, what appears to be, inevitable fate- ruined for all
time. Because in human lifetime terms, it really will be gone forever.

That my friends is truly a noble struggle to be in, helping those without a voice or any other
defenders except those like us, not in it for mammon or reward, but a feeling that stays with
you unto the end, to the very grave, that you did what you could, when you could, and with
all you had. It might not seem like much of a contribution, but here and now, the thought
really does count.

To that end, like Sisyphus, I will keep rolling the rock up the hill, but with the hope and expectation that it won’t be for an eternity, and that the people will wake up from their slumber, and all of us, together, will overcome the forces arrayed against the wilderness and
ourselves, and those last wild places will be saved.
230px-Tiziano_-_Sísifo

That is my hope and dream.

Morongobill

No comments:

Post a Comment