Thursday, December 2, 2010

A little dustup at the New York Times Green blog today.

They had an article on 12/1 entitled “ Maine Officials Say Turbines Are Too Loud”
which is a followup to an October 7 post about 3 wind turbines that were installed
on Vinalhaven Island, to provide clean, reliable power to the residents.

I commented on the 2nd article and read both with interest, enough to watch for the
followup.

Here are the links for both articles:

"For Those Near, the Miserable Hum of Clean Energy"

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/01/maine-officials-say-turbines-are-too-loud/

Here is the link to the locals who are fighting the project. After extensive reading
of this site today, I have to say that it is pretty authoritative. These folks know their
stuff. What can you expect from folks who went out most nights to record the decibel
levels to make the case when no one else would. Great job!

"Fox Islands Wind Neighbors"

A review of the 345 comments on the original article should have been a warning of what
to expect if I got involved with this controversy, but what can I say, I couldn’t help myself.
My middle name lately should be controversy. And I got a quick response, and then in a
couple of minutes found a little bit of info which I put to good use. If I had more time, I could have found a lot more citations.

Who knows maybe I’ll get a couple of visits to this blog. Folks, this is an example of getting involved, something I have mentioned before on this blog. I am no expert but I know when
people are being piled on unfairly, as the residents opposing the wind turbines are on that
Maine island, and I don’t have a problem helping out.

One thing that I can’t help noticing in all the comments is a certain arrogance of attitude
among some of the people, that for the good of all, some will just have to suffer. They may
not say it explicitly like that, but there sure is a strong inference. This seems to be mostly
expressed by those who profess to be green. This is definitely not how you make friends
and influence people. Instead this is a guaranteed way to turn others off to your
ideas.

I support the idea of green energy. I would like nothing better than to see all the rooftops
around here covered with solar panels, the sooner the better. If I had acreage I would consider putting up a wind jenny, but if a neighbor came to me and said that the noise it
made affected their quality of life, it would have to be modified or taken down. How arrogant
of me would it be to leave it up, knowing that it made my neighbors miserable.

One common theme that I have noticed over and over is all the siting issues with these
renewable energy projects. For once, couldn’t the proponents have some common sense and
get the siting right the first time? Why does it always seem there has to be a fight over these
projects? I mean the southern California deserts are a prime example, as I have blogged
about many times here, and now we know per the Center for Public Integrity, that the federal
executive branch agencies were involved in the business of repeated wholesale waiving of the
environmental standards, despite the intent and will of the Congress i.e. the people, in passing
the legislation to protect the environment. When will the people finally rise up and say enough?

As far as that goes, when will the grassroots, the beating hearts of the environmental movement, say enough is enough to their leadership, and force a change toward true
protection of the environment, something those organizations have been remiss at? Are these
members so brainwashed by the carbonmentalists that they are willing to let every last wilderness area be plastered with turbines and solar panels? God, I hope not! Isn’t there some
one out there besides me who doesn’t think we should tear up Ivanpah so China can keep going along burning massive amounts of coal to fuel their economy? The Mojave was a national treasure, but as we are seeing right now, not for long.

I’ll say it loud and clear again. Site these renewable energy plants in good locations such as fallow used up farm land or brown fields, put them close in so you don’t have to make a huge investment in transmission upgrades, and be straight with the people, especially if it’s a noisy wind turbine.

Then you don’t have the problems such as Ivanpah or Vinalhaven to deal with.

Morongobill

 

No comments:

Post a Comment