Tuesday, December 21, 2010

“Well it’s their fault for bringing their kids to a battle”- our callous brutality on display thanks to Bradley Manning and Wikileaks.

Before some of you start attacking me, I invite you to watch this video, the world famous
”Collateral Murder” video where Apache helicopters open up on a group of men which
included Reuters freelance photo-journalist Namir Noor El-Deen and his assistant Saeed
Chmagh. In addition, 3 small children were severely wounded when a van stopped, and men got out to pick up a wounded man, they were attacked by the Apache as well as the van with
the children inside. This occurred in July of this year.

The title of this post comes from the radio remarks from one of the helicopter pilots. Another pilot answered him with “that’s right.”

Here is the entire 38 minute video courtesy of Aljazeera English news channel. This is complete and untampered with video and is acknowledged as authentic by our military.

Warning! What you will see is real, this has not been sanitized in any way.

Outrage is too weak a word to describe the actions and conduct in this video. Same
with the military command’s handling of this matter. It is my understanding that no
charges were filed, it was swept under the rug. When this came to light, the military
had to admit, they don’t even have their copy of the video.

Let me say before going on to the larger issues that I am no lawyer or expert in
international law or military issues. What I am is an average citizen, formerly in
the navy in the early 1970’s, with some college and liberal political views. I am not
a church goer but I do believe in the christian god. I have a problem with the arrogant
and those with a sense of entitlement.

I will not comment on the first 2 attacks shown in this video. But I have a real problem
with the shooting up of the good samaritans in the van who arrived and attempted to get
the wounded man to the hospital. Those pilots who shot them and their van, along with the children inside, and then made those remarks about the children and the parents- they
deserve to be cellmates with Bradley Manning at the Quantico Marine Brig, under the same
psychologically torturous conditions he is having to endure.

No I take that back- those cowards should have been publicly stripped of their ranks and uniforms, forced to walk the gauntlet just like in the old tv show, “Branded.” And marched
right into the brig. As far as this blogger is concerned, they should have been charged with
multiple counts of murder.

We, as a nation and a people, need to step back and think about what these endless wars
are doing to us and to our young people who are having to fight them. Long time readers
will recall that I drove a bus load of soldiers up to Ft. Irwin, California a few months ago.
They were sent there for desert training prior to being deployed to the wars in the middle
east. I still have good memories of the ride, I don’t think that I have ever met such a group
of fine men and women. But these constant deployments over and over, I fear will not be
doing these folks any good. Being exposed to the brutality and violence of war can only
have a long term negative impact, look at all the homeless veterans throughout the
nation today, just for one example.

I am not tarring the whole for the acts of a few. I do not believe that such behavior as this
video shows is the norm. But if it is, we are done.

This is a personal blog with no pretense at being anything else. I understand that most
people will disagree, especially considering that, to the best of my knowledge, it hasn’t
been shown in its’ entirety, if at all on network television. However, I strongly believe
that if the average person watches this, they will come away a new person, one who
won’t blindly accept the government’s explanations in the future.

I believe that it is time to bring our troops home.

That’s the way I see the issue here on the backporch.

Morongobill

No comments:

Post a Comment