Sunday, January 16, 2011

Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go- world class customer NO SERVICE!

Below is a cell phone photo of my USB high speed net device purchased online from Virgin Mobile
for $79.99 and free shipping. I first heard about this on the New York Times tech blog or one of their technology articles, and purchased it based upon that glowing recommendation as allegedly the Times
reporter checked the fine print and researched the pricing; at the time, it was about the best deal on the internet.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/02/technology/personaltech/02pogue.html?_r=1

 

01-15-11_1559

After taking them at their word for the 3 months or so I have had this device, that it was unlimited
and yes I confess I used about 6 gig of bandwidth last month, I received this email from Virgin, which I
will show in screen shots here, remember they promised unlimited access at full dsl like speed. I am
having to splice these screen shots to get all on page, actual email cheerfully forwarded to you upon
your request!
ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 16 09.50

2nd part
ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 16 09.53

Now here is an actual screen shot today from their website and the device that they sold me, this is my
device here:
ScreenHunter_03 Jan. 16 09.58

Now here is a screen shot of their plan usage sales pitch:
ScreenHunter_04 Jan. 16 10.03

Looks pretty clear2me- 40$ for 30 days,unlimited usage, now we’ll look at the plan details page:
ScreenHunter_06 Jan. 16 10.06

Pretty straightforward if you ask me, unlimited means unlimited, it doesn’t mean throttling back the speed to penalize power users who had the good sense to buy the best deal on the internet. Note the lack of weasel clauses on the page, there isn’t even a section stating typical legalese like we reserve the right—blah, blah-
and it sounds like a perfect case for a young lawyer looking to start off in the class action lawsuit world.

But here is what got my goat, but good.

Yesterday, when I couldn’t get online, I tried to call their tech support number 6 consecutive times on my cell phone, I was charged for 6 calls. The results of the 6 calls- every time the computer voice said I would be transferred, the system disconnected me. It didn’t matter if I keyed in my account # or not, the result was the same. I believe it was due to the fact that my 30 day usage had expired and they won’t or can’t be bothered by questions from such users. And my question was when exactly did my time expire.

So they have me and other users over the barrel here. You can’t get through to customer service, you’ve already paid 80$ for the device like mine, or 150$ or so for the mifi hotspot, the sole purpose of which is to get you to allow your friends on the network, as far as I can see, and then you cut back the speed when they exceed the 5 gig limit you, the company, self impose after you hook them with the advertising, then you provide as Clark Howard would describe it, world class customer NO service, yes I in fact do think that this is a situation that cries out for legal action and/ or a customer boycott.

Even with all the provocation here, I probably would have taken this except for the fact of the arrogant, world class customer NO service!

And that’s the way I feel about Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go out here on the backporch!

Morongobill

No comments:

Post a Comment