Monday, March 28, 2011

Joe Bageant is gone.

He passed away a couple of days ago leaving his wife and three children
behind.
image

Joe left behind some of the most interesting ideas and writing that I have
ever come across, I ranked him right close to the top 2 or 3 writers that I have ever had the pleasure of reading in my lifetime.

I didn’t know the man, but did know of him and his work, especially his writing while staying south of the border. One thing I thought was that he understood the average, working class people, especially those from the South, better than any other writer that I have read.

Here is a link to one of Joe’s essays written while staying in Jalisco, Mexico
entitled “Waltzing at the doomsday ball” that I highly recommend you backporchians read right now here. Has anyone ever explained how we
Americans sit so high at the top of the pyramid, and with such clarity as this
essay does? How can the Lord take someone so needed down here when we
are in such need of clarity, right now, when we need someone who can cut through all the propaganda bullshit, and explain it in terms such that the
least amongst us can understand?
The loss of such a man is so immense that I still can’t really come to grips with it. God, what a loss to our society!

Great interview of Joe, well worth watching.

This loss I take personally, despite never having met the man, except through
his good works.

Here on the backporch, we mourn the loss of this great truth-teller and writer.

Vaya con dios, Joe. You made us the better for knowing of you.

Morongobill

LiveJournal Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment