Sunday, April 10, 2011

A return to the little ridge top, in which I discover my inner mountain goat.

Last week I drove back out to the desert with no plan, except to see if the
flowers were blooming and/or maybe do another hike at the Morongo Canyon
Nature Preserve.

Driving out I drove by the little ridge that runs from the desert floor up to
Mount San Jacinto on my way to stop at the rest stop there by Whitewater.
Walking back to my car, I decided to go back to the ridge for another attempt.
After parking my car and walking over to cross the railroad tracks, I came
across this sight.
040411palmspringshike 001

Don’t you just love how some of us hominids use the desert and wilderness as their personal trash dump? Or maybe
it’s just there for hobo’s who jump off the freight trains that rumble through here several times a day.
040411palmspringshike 028

The decision was made not to redo the whole previous hike but to aim for the jeep trail I got off on last time and to continue upward from there. I walked up
until the grade just was too steep and relentless, at which point I filmed a
video that I am showing a clip of here to show you how steep the hillside was.
ScreenHunter_02 Apr. 10 18.24

Here is another still shot which shows the smart way to go back, along the ridge the way that I came.
ScreenHunter_03 Apr. 10 18.28

You guessed it, of course I decided not to take the smart way down, but to go
straight down that steep, sandy, and covered in places with flat, loose rocks, hillside.On the way down, I almost took a tumble when I slipped and managed
to grab hold of an ancient gnarly dead juniper tree limb, a stunted tree of which there were quite a few to be found on this hillside, some living, some dead for what appeared to be centuries.
ScreenHunter_04 Apr. 10 18.32

And here is a photo that I took showing dead and living, all in one tree.
040411palmspringshike 014

The view from below looking up at this juniper stand.
040411palmspringshike 017

040411palmspringshike 020

To think, if Harry Reid had his way, this ancient one would be getting a visit from the masticator and would end
up going up in smoke, renewable energy. What an oxymoron! I ain’t bullshitting you folks, he’s all for it.
040411palmspringshike 021

Folks, I had no way of knowing what I would come across going down that hillside, and I never expected to come across junipers! They kind of remind me of those old gnarly pines, the ones they say are thousands of years old, bristlecones I believe they are called.

Nothing much else happened except I did see some very tiny flowers on the way back, here is a video still.
ScreenHunter_06 Apr. 10 18.46

The above is from the hillside, further down I came across man’s presence here.
ScreenHunter_07 Apr. 10 18.48

You can just about count on finding trash like here anywhere in the desert unfortunately.
ScreenHunter_08 Apr. 10 18.49

Here is a video where I share a major discovery right near where I parked
the morongomobile, a sight for sore eyes and much needed at the moment!

Although this little (boring to some)hike will never make it into a guidebook it was an interesting way to see the desert, explore a section that I was always curious about, to find some new unexpected things, and to get the heck out of the big city and all those people.

Morongobill

 

No comments:

Post a Comment