Saturday, May 7, 2011

The backporch extends a hearty welcome to Mr. Chip Ashley! And thanks him for the information he provided.

Folks, do you remember in my post about California Assembly Bill 1214 I said
that someone had emailed me the information which I knew absolutely nothing about?

Here is the original email with followups, note that I did not disclose a name, etc
until I asked for and received permission to do so. I went with the post because it was that important, but only put out the word about the bill and my feelings about it:   the 1st email is at the bottom,newest at the top. I have also removed
Mr. Ashley’s email address but kept the link to the organization in his email signature. That is the only editing done- remove an email address.

Bill,
Post at will, Bill.  I believe in transparency--unlike the electron industry.
Chip Ashley

- Hide quoted text -

On 5/6/11, morongobill@gmail.com <morongobill@gmail.com> wrote:
> Heh Charles, forget my previous email, I put up a post without giving out
> who sent the email, here it is if you'd like to check it out:
>
> http://morongobillsbackporch.blogspot.com/2011/05/want-to-do-something-to-stop.html
>
> Great to hear from you and hope people wake up and try to stop these
> projects that destroy nature before it is too late.
>
> Bill Mcdonald
>
> On May 6, 2011 12:16pm, morongobill@gmail.com wrote:
>> Thank you very much for this information and congratulations on the
>> victory up there.
>
>> I was wondering if you would mind if I published excerpts of the email as
>>
>> a post on my blog, as well as forwarding it to a few people I know of
>> that are active in the fight to save the deserts down here,
>> and that oppose BrightSource Energy.
>
>> I look forward to hearing from you.
>
>> Thanks again,
>> Bill Mcdonald
>> http://morongobillsbackporch.blogspot.com
>
>> On May 6, 2011 11:48am, Charles Ashley
>>
>> wrote:
>> > Bill,
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Been following your great blog for a few years now! Your strong words
>> >
>> > are appropriate! Keep screaming at the top of your lungs at the BSing
>> >
>> > bastards!
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > We're on the other end of the extension cord up here in Fresno County,
>> >
>> > fighting the good fight along with you. We have managed to keep a 500
>> >
>> > kV trx line out of the Sierra foothills by participating in planning
>> >
>> > at the ISO and RETI. It's not over yet, but we won the last round in
>> >
>> > the ISO 2010-11 TPP with the help our excellent transmission
>> >
>> > consultant, Jaleh Firooz, and donations from lots of locals to pay for
>> >
>> > power flow analysis.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > The main item I want to bring your attention to is a bill going
>> >
>> > through the CA Assembly at the moment--passed committee 2 days ago,
>> >
>> > headed to appropriations. It is a bad bill to grease the transmission
>> >
>> > skids and is sponsored by BS (BrightSource). It's AB 1214, author
>> >
>> > Nancy Skinner, D--Berkeley. This bill would essentially merge the ISO
>> >
>> > and the CPUC to streamline approval of new high voltage transmission
>> >
>> > ostensibly to serve renewables sites in the S. CA desert. This bill
>> >
>> > would eliminate necessary checks and balances from the regulatory
>> >
>> > structure. I think it's a pretty obvious inference that BS is
>> >
>> > contributing to Skinner's campaign fund.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Chip Ashley
>> >
>> > President, Save the Foothills Coalition
>> >
>> > Think Distributed Generation and Storage and save wild areas from
>> Energy Sprawl.
>> >
>> > Join the Feed-in Tariff Coalition and Fight for Energy Democracy!
>> >
>> > http://www.fitcoalition.com/
>> >
>> >
>”           end of copied email

To say that I am honored to receive the email and the advice is an understatement. Wow! And here is the comment he made on my blog post
referred to in the email.
READ WHAT HE SAYS CAREFULLY.

2 comments:

Chip Ashley said...

Bill,
You should also know that BS did contribute to Skinner's campaign, along with the Large-Scale Solar Association and some other corporations.
http://www.electiontrack.com/lookup.php?committee=1313828
I should also disclose that I am a higher-up volunteer in the Sierra Club, and I know that Sierra Club National has also received contributions from CEERT, the Center for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Technologies--located in Sacramento (for convenience right next to the capitol)--and the Large-Scale Solar Association, lobbyists carrying the water for the corporados behind all this BS. The Sierra Club can kick me out if they've got the cojones. I believe in transparency. I'm loyal to John Muir and David Brower--not these Johnny-come-latelies. Besides, it's public knowledge--just google CEERT and Sierra Club together.
Solidarity!
Chip Ashley

May 6, 2011 8:24 PM

Morongobill said...

Chip,
I just want to say thank you so much.
I will respond to this with my next post.

May 7, 2011 8:03 PM

End of copied comments.

Folks, I admit that I have a problem with the upper echelon leadership at the
Sierra Club. Some things that I have said are probably not printable here. But
I have absolute respect for the rank and file, the activists, and the volunteers-
they don’t set policy, it all just rolls downhill on top of them. I got it. Same with
the NRDC and any other carbonmentalist group that I have called out. I welcomeLet me rephrase that- any and all members of those groups are welcome on the backporch, even the ones that disagree with me, just be prepared to defend your position, that’s all.

By the way, anybody that is a follower of Muir and Brower can hang out on the
backporch anytime. I suggest to my readers that you check out those links in
the above comment and on my original post as well, it would be nice to have a little backup, catch something maybe that my tired eyes might have missed, and also if you find anything new relating to this renewable energy land rush, don’t keep it to yourself, let us all know. Here via email or comment, or one of the other fine blogs and sites that I have mentioned here from time to time.

Lately I have been working a lot of hours and I know that I have missed a whole bunch of news, so help us out here if you can.

To reiterate, I am in total agreement with Mr. Ashley’s points that he made. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind at least that anything done to streamline the permit process, from transmission to environmental issues, just
means another nail in the desert’s coffin, more dead animals, more woodchipped plants, more native american sacred sites destroyed, more pristine ecosystem destroyed, and no real meaningful long term jobs in any real numbers. Well, I guess washing the mirrors might qualify. But if you think that these companies will hire locals to operate a billion dollar plant just like that, I want some of whatever you are smoking.

By the way, it sounds they won a similar fight up north to one down here, the fight to save Big Morongo Canyon as a transmission line corridor. In their case, they saved the Sierra foothills.

There is a lesson there for ordinary folks like us in that.

We just don’t have to sit there and take it!

Fight on!

Morongobill

 

No comments:

Post a Comment