Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Photo’s from Wee Thump Joshua Tree Wilderness, Nevada.

Wee Thump is a BLM administered joshua tree wilderness off Nevada Hwy#164
a few miles past Nipton and the California state line. Having passed by several times in the past, I decided to do a short hike there yesterday while visiting the
area. For more information, here are a couple of links to online information for
your perusal:
http://www.birdandhike.com/Wilderness/WeeThump/_WeeThump.htm

http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS&sec=wildView&WID=634

http://faultline.org/site/item/wee_thump/

http://faultline.org/site/item/wee_thump_sunset

The last 2 links are to Chris Clarke’s Coyote Crossing site which has some great desert writing for you to check out!
And the 2 links have some great photographs of Wee Thump.

050211mnptrip 052

There were tons of small desert wildflowers like these everywhere, especially on the trail.
050211mnptrip 053

Found in the sandy trail.
050211mnptrip 054
Those fruits will show teeth marks before long, maybe human!
050211mnptrip 055

At this point the trail is actually a desert wash.
050211mnptrip 056

A fallen ancient.
050211mnptrip 057

What? You thought man wouldn’t leave his mark in a wilderness area?

Wee Thump is now around 6,000 acres or 10 square miles. I hiked about 2 miles and decided to cut off from the trail and head to Hwy #164 and walk the shoulder of the road back uphill to my car. Bad decision as the wilderness is fenced in along the road with a barbed wire fence. Not wanting to get hung on the fence on the wire as it seemed a little shaky for my ample frame, I was
forced to lay on my belly and crawl under the bottom strand in the dirt. Now that would have been a sight to remember, I assure you.

Here is a video I took of the flowers on the trail and the landscape around me.

Watch your step!Flowers below!

After making it back to my car, I set out toward Walking Box Ranch Road and
an unsuccessful attempt to try to get close to the Castle Peaks area. After 4 and 1/2 miles of the dirt road, I gave up and headed off toward the Nipton area
and from there to the Vulcan Mine on Forshay Pass Road which will be the subject of a later post.

By the way as was reported over at the drycyclist bicycle camping site, the ranch buildings are being restored by the park service. Hopefully one day I will
be able to tour the grand hacienda where Clara Bow and Rex Bell once lived, far from the madding crowds.

Morongobill

No comments:

Post a Comment