Monday, July 18, 2011

How music is made- Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks jamming away at the blues! Bonus video of the day.

Long time readers here know that I am a big fan of the Allman Brothers Band.
Being a southerner from Georgia, how could I not be?

This 5 minute clip was filmed in a dressing room at a New York concert venue, filmed by the person who made a live dvd of the band.

Here is a little factoid you may not know. Duane Allman, who some feel was the greatest rock guitar of all time, used a Coricidin glass bottle as a slide. Wikipedia has the story here but I will retell it quickly. Duane was sick in bed with a cold and his brother Gregg dropped off Coricidin for his symptoms and a Taj Mahal album. A couple of hours later, Duane is up and playing slide for the first time with the glass bottle.

Check out the slides that Derek and Warren are using, take a close look.

Warren Haynes standing, Derek Trucks sitting in the foreground. This is how blues is made!

Here are the lyrics to the song they were playing. I am really surprised, look
who wrote it. I could have swore that this was an old blues song.

Old Friend
by Warren Haynes and Chris Anderson
You know hard time is just an old friend, just an old friend to me
I say hard time is just an old friend, just an old friend to me
Tell me now, old friend, when you gonna let me be?
Can't you feel a cold wind howlin' down, blowin' my song
Can't you feel a cold wind howlin' down, blowin' my song
Well, I ain't an old man, but you know my time ain't long
Gonna be a hard rain - you can hear it in the distance, sounds so near
Gonna be a hard rain - you can hear it in the distance, sounds so near
People, when the rain comes, it's gonna wash us all away from here
Mean old woman, people won't you tell me where can she be
Mean old woman, people won't you tell me where can she be
She's the only woman that ever meant a damn to me
You know hard time is just an old friend, just an old friend to me
I say hard time is just an old friend, just an old friend to me
Tell me now, old friend, when you gonna let me be?
Tell me now, old friend, when you gonna let me be?
Tell me now, old friend, when you gonna let this poor man be?

Man, I am happy that I found this video clip. Sure wish there was one of Duane
out there somewhere like it.

Enjoy.

Morongobill

No comments:

Post a Comment