Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Visit to Yaquitepec, home of Marshal South atop Ghost Mountain, pt 2.

See pt 1 here if you haven’t read it already for context, or just keep reading
here and save it for later. This part will be told more with pictures and videos
possibly, we will see how it plays out.

After arrival at the trailhead, I set out upon the trail, one mile long, up towards
the top of the ridge- destination, the home of Marshal South, Yaquitepec.The
trail starts out steeply and pretty much continues that way.
01082012yaquitepec 003

I am going to put up several photos taken going up the rocky trail, which by the way has many switchbacks. Alongside the trail, in a couple of places, I had
close encounters with cholla, and had to pull out several of their needles, luckily there was no blood drawn.
01082012yaquitepec 004

A beautiful lichen covered boulder alongside the trail.
01082012yaquitepec 005

Can you imagine going up this with a heavy jerry can filled with water in each hand?
01082012yaquitepec 006
Speaking of cholla’s. Also note the couple heading downhill, the lady had a hip replacement surgery and look at
her hiking! That was truly inspirational to me, I thank them for giving me the heads up on the trail going on up.
01082012yaquitepec 008

There are almost too many succulents to count in the above photo. I sure wish I was better educated regarding desert
cactus species.
01082012yaquitepec 010
One of many, many juniper trees that I encountered along the trail to Yaquitepec. I sure hope that Senator Harry Reid
doesn’t see this blog post as there isn’t a juniper or pinyon pine tree safe anywhere, that he doesn’t want to burn in
one of his so-called renewable energy biomass plant schemes! I say harvest the berries and make bathtub gin.
01082012yaquitepec 013

The view looking back toward the exit. What are those stalks that come up from a plant resembling an agave?
01082012yaquitepec 016

This is similar to the plant that the tall stalks grow from.
01082012yaquitepec 017

No special camera angles, yes, it really is that steep! Check out all the different plant species!
01082012yaquitepec 020

What is the name of these plants with the tall stalks?
01082012yaquitepec 029

What an awesome view. This hike was worth it just to get to appreciate the beauty of the surrounding desert landscape.
01082012yaquitepec 033

I don’t know, I think I have wandered off the path. Just kidding!
01082012yaquitepec 037

The view out the front door. You can see the Borrego badlands way in the distance I believe. I am sure that if I am mistaken,
someone will set me straight.
01082012yaquitepec 038

This flower or plant left here by someone else, for some reason, was a moving thing to see.
01082012yaquitepec 040

The context for the flower picture above.
01082012yaquitepec 042

Taken from inside the home looking toward the kitchen area and the location of the water cistern.

I took several videos but these 3 are the most important and were taken 1) on
the trail just before arrival at the ruins, and the next 2 from the home site area.
The last video, is really where I put it all together in my thoughts and onto video. Please note, the video is shaky, I forgot to take my tremor medication- I
apologize in advance for the loss of video quality. Please be assured though
that everything that I had at the time- knowledge of the individuals, my feelings
and thoughts went into these video vignettes.

Yaquitepec# 7 from bill mcdonald on Vimeo.

Video on the mountain trail on the walk up to Yaquitepec, home site of the writer, Marshal South, who lived there from 1930 to the late 1940's.

  

Yaquitepec #8 from bill mcdonald on Vimeo.

A walkthrough of Yaquitepec,home of writer,marshal south,atop Ghost Mountain in Anza-Borrego State Desert Park.

Yaquitepec #9 from bill mcdonald on Vimeo.

Continuing the walkthrough of the ruins at the home site of writer, Marshal South, known as Yaquitepec, atop Ghost Mountain which is located in Anza- Borrego State Desert Park.

Folks, that is it for today. I will have further thoughts on this which I will put into
pt 3, the final post on this trip report. This will hopefully go online tomorrow. I just feel like that something is missing, I don’t know what the missing piece is;
perhaps after sleeping on it, it will come to me.

Feel free to comment if you have any thoughts on this, or any suggestions for future trips- as the saying goes, I am all ears.

If anyone has further information and you would like it made available to the readership, please consider contributing a guest article. Just email me at the address to the left, and we will get it up right away. Sorry, the pay is nonexistent as this is a labor of love, so to speak, but occasionally this blog does get some “heavy hitter visitors” and who knows, they might write me and ask who wrote that fantastic guest blog post!

As I say somewhere, maybe on the youtube page, this site can really only be appreciated truly by making the pilgrimage to it. Videos and photos do not substitute for the awe inspiring views from the top and the difficulties encountered making your way up and back. Most importantly, do not stay too late, unless you have a good torch and are experienced in night hiking, this trail
is tough enough in the daytime, don’t tempt fate by going up unprepared and having to trek down after sunset.

Until we meet again, vaya con dios, mis amigos.

Morongobill

No comments:

Post a Comment