Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Los Angeles Times editorial today on the Genesis Solar Site urging a settlement. Does rumored litigation between NextEra and the Times regarding Genesis have any bearing on their opinion?

The editorial entitled “Solar Standoff in the Mojave” can be read here. Go ahead
and read it, we’ll wait for you to come back.

It is difficult to know which issue to discuss here about this editorial, so I think
that I will read between the lines, scatter the tea leaves in the never ending
desert breeze and reveal their meaning as it is told to me.

The renewable energy establishment is finally worried now, with good reason.
They know that they have foisted these projects upon the people of this state
by using fear tactics, divide and conquer techniques, by any means necessary-
and counted upon a demoralized opposition to not offer up anything but token
resistance. As I have mentioned countless times here, the proponents behind this modern day energy land rush included the government bureaucracies both
state and federal, large environmental groups with members placed in the panels that set up the rules that set the stage for what followed, as well as the
industrialists and the financiers, the last eager as beavers to ram these projects
down our throats, as long as their money wasn’t at risk.

Forgive me as I reach back to my southern roots, not the aristocracy but the sharecroppers, and try to fully express my thoughts here. The renewable energy advocates are scared shitless. The “reasonableness” expressed by the editorial staff speaks volumes. Renewable energy advocates for desert solar are worried now and with good reason- in their arrogance and hubris, they thought that they could run roughshod over all opposition, treating anybody that opposed them the same, in other words like crap on the bottom of their shoe, well they may be about to find out how it feels to be on the losing side for once.

I don’t give a damn whether this project is over budget, or delayed, it shouldn’t
have gone through in the first place due to the rushed siting procedures used
and the almost non-existent oversight now exposed by that desert breeze uncovering the native American remains; that breeze also brings into total focus
the lack of any said oversight. It is as obvious as the Pinocchio noses on the
energy advocate’s faces, it can’t be any more apparent.

And this very same thing, this lack of real oversight, has happened in virtually everyone of these projects in this state so far, in my opinion.

This situation has been calling for lawsuits to rein in these energy advocates for a long time. We do have litigation now ongoing brought by the Sierra Club and others to stop the former Tessera project near Newberry Springs and the suit against the Ivanpah SEGS project, brought after construction began I believe, and now the possibility of a suit being brought by the Colorado River area tribes to stop the destruction of their lands and their cultural heritage, under the federal Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act, a law with real teeth, some say, and a wakeup call to the industrialists.

The renewable energy buzzsaw may have have finally hit an iron spike buried
inside the ironwood tree, to use a brutal analogy. That buzzsaw, may buck in their hands and kick back up into their faces, if they are not careful. Having had a chainsaw buck in my admittedly inexperienced hands, I know the
feeling of fear that it causes, the panic almost until that split second is over and you have it back under your control. You vow to yourself to be more careful
the next time, vow not to make the same mistake again, if you can just escape injury this one time.

I know what they are feeling down at the L.A. Times editorial offices, they may be worried. It has been brought to my attention that there may be a lawsuit going on now- by NextEra, owner of the Genesis Solar project mentioned in the editorial that you just read, and the Los Angeles Times, and my understanding is that NextEra sued over one word in one of the Times articles, a word that they considered inflammatory.

Let me clue you in on some personal history. I have always been a Los Angeles
Times reader since I moved here in 1976 from south Georgia. The Times was
always my preference over the Orange County Register, my local paper. So what I am saying is not personal, but speculation that a reasonable person
might engage in.

A stranger might overhear this as a conversation and infer reasonably that the
Times editorial might be somehow affected by possible ongoing litigation regarding a previous article about this project. That same stranger might say that in the real world, you could mitigate damage by favorably commenting on the matter at hand. I am not saying it is a fact, I am saying that it is a possibility, and anyone of ordinary intelligence and with some measure of modern day cynicism might think the same way.

So I am asking flat out, to the Los Angeles Times editorial staff, is litigation currently ongoing against your company by NextEra over this Genesis
project and a previous article of yours about it, and if so did that play into the writing of this editorial supporting this project and the resolution of the issues facing it, in any way?

Crazier things have happened, it is a reasonable concern and is fair game for
discussion.

If I have received wrong information or misinterpreted what I did get, I will be happy to issue a public apology and a retraction here on these pages, but I
believe that the information that I received was good and that it is reasonable to bring this up for discussion.

If nothing else, and the purported rumored litigation is actually a fact and not a rumor, then the Times editorial staff needs to put a disclaimer up on that editorial page pointing out that it is in litigation with one of the parties and that it had no bearing upon their opinion.

Morongobill

P.S. Please read my recent post on the Genesis Project here.

No comments:

Post a Comment