Monday, July 9, 2012

Best laid plans scrapped.

For the first time since I started this new bus driving job, I have 2 straight days
off, tomorrow and the next day. The plan was to get off at 0115 tomorrow morning and head out for the Mojave National Preserve with the un-air conditioned Morongomobile. Well, I guess those plans are tossed out after finding out that the temperature in Baker will be 118 degrees F tomorrow and
117 degrees F the day after.

One thing that I learned from my 4 1/2 years or so living in the desert was that when the temperature exceeds about 105 degrees F, each additional degree is
felt by your body on a logarithmic scale- the 13 extra degrees would be over-
whelming to endure, especially with so little shade.

Having said all that, I probably would still go, except for this debilitating ankle
problem, which I guess will persist until it is good and ready to leave me. The
potent combination of proposed temperatures and a bad wheel, are just too
much to ignore.

You see folks, I didn’t tell you guys the full truth the other day when I left the windmill area and drove up to Big Morongo Canyon to film that recent video in my last post. The whole truth is that the ankle plus the around only 100 degree
F temperature, were about to do me in, and I turned around before it could do
so.

Now you know “the rest of the story.”

But this time, I do have a backup plan. I think that I will journey over to San Pedro Harbor and visit the U.S.S. Iowa museum, and then as usual write
about the trip here.
062112iowa_visit 012

So my dear readers, “stand by for news!”

Morongobill

No comments:

Post a Comment