Friday, August 17, 2012

I gotta start making a plan.

A few nights ago, I lucked out and got off around 6pm. From my vantage point driving a shuttle bus, I knew that the clouds were rolling in and it might be a great time to rush home, pick up a camera, and try to photograph the Korean Bell of Friendship in a sunset situation. I left work and somehow forgot all about the idea.

About 7’ish, I looked up from my laptop sitting in the donut shop that I sometimes hang out at, and noticed one of the longest lasting, intense colored
sunsets through very interesting clouds that I have seen in years.

“Damn, I forgot all about it!”

So tonight after mulling the idea for a while, I decided about 6:45 pm to drive down to San Pedro. The following photo I took from my car while sitting at a red light in Long Beach turned out to be the only usable shot and when I arrived at the park, it was after sunset and the gates were locked.
08172012san_pedro 001

Although just a record shot, I am pleased with how the matrix metering in camera handled the contrasts. I think the D70 with the 50mm F1.8 G would have been a good choice tonight.

Well, I won’t get another chance until next Tuesday unless they change my day off. Next time, I will get there plenty early, and most likely will take both cameras- the P510 and the D70.

I guess that I better not bring my tripod, as the chatter online is that they may
be worried that the person using it might be a professional photographer.
Considering my recent little kerfuffle with L.A. Parks and Recreation, being caught with a tripod there might result in my ejection from the site. That is something that I am not willing to risk, I went there in the first place to try to make good photographs, and the ensuing controversy regarding the cleaning the monument needed, sidetracked me for weeks.

I will try to be less critical in the future now that some progress has been made and they have committed to a future biweekly cleaning cycle. Don't tell anyone smile

Oh, I almost forgot. Never underestimate the ability of the Frys Electronics
salesmen order takers to snatch defeat right out of the jaws of victory, and
sending a buyer fleeing the store and vowing for the umpteenth time, never to buy anything there again.

I went with a friend to the Anaheim Frys location, with the intent of looking at the D7000, the D300S, and the D700- all made by Nikon- and with a Frys credit card burning a hole in my wallet! I left not spending a penny, and for the same reason as before, ignored until the last minute and also being told that the D300S was boxed and on the shelf in the backroom. I took the hint and said, okay I will go look at it at Samy’s Camera, and walked out.

In hindsight, I am glad that the folks there are such pathetic salesmen, it gives me a chance to play the “wait and see” game, especially now that I have heard that Nikon may be bringing out a cheaper full frame digital slr, the D600.

So their incompetence saved me money.

Now if I have an emergency and my laptop dies, I will probably go there for their cheapest or I could get Dell to sell me another, or for a super good deal on a small item, I sincerely doubt that they will ever get any real big business from me again.

Anyway that’s what happened in my world today, a lazy hot day, but at least I didn’t blow a grand at Frys!

Bill McDonald aka Morongobill

 

No comments:

Post a Comment