Thursday, August 2, 2012

Korean Bell of Friendship, redux.

Folks, I am not content to just point out the state that this awe inspiring
memorial to the friendship between the Korean and American people has
fallen into. Since I posted my post about it, a few things have occurred.
ScreenHunter_03 Aug. 02 09.56

It turned out that my brother forwarded the news to his member of Congress whose staff called him to advise that the monument really was given to the people of Los Angeles, hence my putting this photo taken by me, on the original post.
ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 30 12.00

Further research, taking less than 2 minutes, led me to find out that the
Korean Bell of Friendship would be sounded on August 15th, in celebration
of Korean Liberation Day, and I am sure that dignitaries, including Korean
Consulate officials might be in attendance. Knowing how notoriously difficult
it is to get any government official in this country, to pick up a phone, I decided
to go straight to those who gave us this magnificent gift of friendship.
07272012kfbell 006

I decided to write an email to the consulate and the embassy. Now I do not have a rolodex with ambassador’s home phone numbers so I got online and
found 2 addresses from their websites and sent them the following email which I will post here. By the way, the blind copies were sent to my brother and myself.
ScreenHunter_04 Aug. 02 10.06

ScreenHunter_05 Aug. 02 10.06

I have done all that I can do. I went to the monument and discovered that
it was in a scandalous state of filth, covered with pigeon excrement, and have
tried to notify the right people, even one in the United States House of Representatives. Now I have attempted to make contact with the givers of this
wonderful gift, so that their officials will not be embarrassed publicly by being
at a ceremony, with the main setting being in such a state.

I sure hope that the folks forward those emails to the proper parties so that pressure can be brought to bear upon whoever is responsible for the safe cleanup of this national treasure.

Take action folks. Try to make a change for the better. If we don’t do it, it won’t be done.

I may attempt to contact folks I know in the mainstream media about this, but
my thinking is that they would consider it a niche or boutique story with not
enough general public interest. Ideas, anyone?

Bill McDonald aka Morongobill

No comments:

Post a Comment