Monday, September 10, 2012

Another meetup with the bighorn sheep, and a major equipment malfunction. Part 1.

At Big Morongo Canyon Preserve, of course.

What a relief to arrive there at 1102 in the morning and find the temperature at
80 degrees F with lots of cloud cover and a cooling breeze! Way different from my last visit on July 4th when it was a whole lot hotter and my ankle was a whole lot worse than now.

Today I decided to try hiking in sandals and what a mistake that turned out to be. From all the little sharp stones that were constantly getting under my bare feet to the major equipment failure of the right sandal, where the back right side near the heel completely tore loose when somehow I stepped on a sharp stick.
ScreenHunter_03 Sep. 10 21.18

The sharp stick ripped the attachment loose by my heel, I am very lucky that it didn’t stick into my foot, it might have been a real emergency with no first aid kit, no cell reception and nothing to use for a tourniquet. I was truly lucky today. Another thing,
I constantly was trying to shake out small and sharp pebbles or rocks, from inside the sandals.

So I will be buying a new pair of hiking boots in short order.

I plan on adding a second part to this where I will post some videos taken and
more information on the hike. For now I will post a few photos and give a little more info and then I am hitting the sack.

Today I ended up hiking 7.5 miles with an elevation loss of 976' in the first 6.4
miles and an elevation gain of 228' in the last 1.1 miles. I did about 5.5 miles with the ripped sandal. The idea was that it would put less strain on the footwear by continuing downhill to the road and then hitching a ride back up the hill, than to turn around at mile marker 2 and head back up.

That’s my story and I am sticking to it.

Here are the bighorns, which I spotted early in my hike.
09102012bigmorongo 005

Now with the Nikon Coolpix P510’s killer zoom and digital zoom enabled.
09102012bigmorongo 008

09102012bigmorongo 011

09102012bigmorongo 012

Remember to come back in a day or so for pt 2 of this post for the videos, one
of which shows you exactly how far away I was from this small herd of bighorn sheep, you are really going to be amazed.

Some have written me asking how I can spot these bighorn from so far away.
Well I don’t want to give away any bighorn whisperer secrets, but I will admit to having four eyesJust kidding

Morongobill

No comments:

Post a Comment