Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Another meetup with the bighorn sheep, and a major equipment malfunction. Part 2 of 2.

First , let me give a shout out and a big thank you to honorary backporch member, John, who observed me trudging up the Morongo grade on Hwy 62 and gave me a little honk behind me and then offered me a ride all the way to the Morongomobile which was parked at the Big Morongo Canyon Preserve parking lot. John who moved out here to the desert from New Mexico a year ago is now an honorary backporch follower thanks to his generosity. Thanks a lot sir!

As promised yesterday, here are a couple of videos. Sorry for the large file size but I was very unhappy with the shrunk down videos which had horrible looking pixelated skies. You will get to see the full HD versions. If you want to see only the bighorn sheep, watch video#2.

Last night, I mentioned to a friend how I can spot the bighorns and I discussed it with another friend this morning. This will probably sound weird, but I am looking for shapes and patterns that will seem out of place. In other words, I am looking for something that does not belong in the setting. In the photographs shown yesterday, the shapes of the bighorn stood out from the shrubs and small trees, get it? Just like a bighorn standing sideways on a ridgetop showing the curved horn will stand out.

Now you know one of my secrets a little bit about finding bighorns, I will be expecting to see you out on the trail soon!

09102012bigmorongo 001 from bill mcdonald on Vimeo.

http://morongobillsbackporch.blogspot.com

09102012bigmorongo 002 from bill mcdonald on Vimeo.

In which I spot a small group of desert bighorn sheep off the Canyon T rail at Big Morongo Canyon Preserve.


See you later!

Morongobill

No comments:

Post a Comment