Friday, September 14, 2012

Let the adventure begin!

I have been talking about it and thinking about it, today I finally pulled the trigger and bought a used mountain bike. The bike in question was on Craig’s
List, a 1998 or so Specialized Rockhopper hardtail mountain bike, appears lightly used, and picked up for $120 cash.

Now, where am I going to put it, and how will I get it up to the Mojave National
Preserve for its’ maiden voyage? Obviously the next move is to pick up a bike rack to mount on the trunk of the Morongomobile and some various and sundry
other things, like a tire repair kit and tools.

I figured I might as well start somewhere and my research led me to believe that this bike has good bones upon which to start a touring bike conversion process for the long term, and to ride dirt roads in the desert and bike trails here for the short term.

Here are a few photos cribbed from the Craigslist posting, taken by Dave, the seller.
image 0

image 1

image 2

image 3

image 4

image 5

The bike has new knobby tires front and rear, new cables, new gel seat, and newer brake pads. The gear shifters were recently adjusted and it seems to be my size. Like the Trek I had previously, it does not have a kickstand, which takes some getting used to.

The plan is to take it to a bike shop and have it gone through again and also have the tires filled with a tire repair sealant such as green slime, as used over
on the ten ton bike at the drycyclist site which I mentioned here many times.

I can’t wait to take this bike up to the Mojave National Preserve or Joshua Tree.
I can’t wait to throw some stuff in a daypack and strap a sleeping bag and ground mat onto that Blackburn mountain rack on the bike and head up to the hills. My first trip will probably be to drive up to Kelso Depot, and leave my car in the lot, and ride the 3 miles up the gentle grade to the Globe Mine Road and then cross the tracks and ride the dirt road all the way over to the mountain range in the distance. Here is a preview pic to show you exactly what I am talking about.
archivecd16 118

Providence Mountains here I come!

Many thanks to my friend over at drycyclist.com who sent me an encouraging email telling me to get out and do it, if not via bike, by car- get to the Mojave National Preserve- hike it, camp it- just do it. Thanks for the encouragement and now that the hot weather hopefully will be ending soon, I intend to get the you know what out of Dodge, and take that sage advice!

There are more than enough adventures to be found at the MNP to keep me busy until the bitter end of life’s journey, and now I hope to be able to start seeing it.

And of course, I will document it here, the good, bad, and oh so ugly!

MorongobillGoat

No comments:

Post a Comment