Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Loose ends

Sitting here this morning with my coffee cup nearby, I realize that there are a few things that need to be mentioned before starting up the new site. First, let
me enlighten you with a story of how I made an idiot out of myself. Recently, I went for a hike at one of my favorite spots, Big Morongo Canyon Preserve, where I discovered that the trail had been converted into a dirt road. That startling discovery was so shocking that I forgot that this trail was actually a reclaimed by the desert pipeline road, cut through the canyon decades ago.
10302012bmcp 022

I have no excuse for what happened next but to say that I panicked after seeing what I convinced myself was a new road, a description that implies
that obviously a road have never existed there in the first place, which in this
instance is categorically not true, as a road and easement has existed here for decades to allow the gas pipeline folks to maintain their pipeline.

So in my panic, believing what my lying eyes showed me, and completely forgetting all my previous hikes down the canyon trail, where wheel ruts still
existed in several places, I proceeded to send out a plea for help to various people that I have met online and to a few organizations, which resulted in
some literally believing that a new road had been cut into virgin wilderness, that view being debunked by the local BLM, and in a particularly mortifying
email that I received which I will only quote the most embarrassing part to me
here and will keep the sender anonymous(after all who would want to be
associated with such an obvious nutcase) so as to not cause them to be publicly linked with your host here:
ScreenHunter_01 Nov. 21 08.20

So you see what happened don’t you? The shock of seeing that dirt road cut right up to the side of my favorite cottonwood tree must have kicked all memory and reason out of me, causing a total meltdown and resulting in my losing any and all street credibility that I might have had, if I ever had any left, with folks
who might be able to make a difference.

In other words, I cried wolf and there was nothing there.

And now continuing along in a similar vein, I have dumped another blog over at
Wordpress for the same reason that I stopped blogging here before, my inability to get the software working the way that I want it too. In my own defense though I will say that how hard should it be to embed a video or to put a link in to another article or to have paragraphs flow and look normal on a screen? It seems like that is a reasonable request and not one that should be too hard to deliver.

Now I am back here writing this after running off all the readers with my problems here, and with a promise to start up a site of my own. After thinking this over and spending some money, I believe that I can do this- as long as I don’t get bogged down in the nuts and bolts.

Here is what I would like to be able to accomplish. I would like to have a site where I can take a template, put in the elements that I want, and to be able to have it appear like this site; with a large image across the top and with tabs to click on leading my readers to sections such as a blog, photo gallery, desert issues section, politics section, off grid section(coming soon) and others as they occur to me. I would like every page to be easy on the internet usage so that any speed connection won’t be overloaded, and for easy navigation to get around.

As I mentioned in a previous post here or at WP, I would like this to be bare bones for now, and as I get more proficient with the web design software, it will get a little easier on the eyes, as they say. I think I can do this just using the “cookie cutter” approach, and hope that the first pages will be up by 11/29/2012.

Another thing that I have been thinking about is off grid living. Recently, I came across an interesting survival blog, the most interesting parts to me being how this young man obtained a cabover truck camper and a 32 foot travel trailer and can use both off grid thanks to home made solar panels, etc. This last was
extremely interesting to me and I ended up voraciously reading every post in the blog. I suggest that you check it out as well. So now I am checking Craig’s List daily and looking for deals and information on similar rv’s.
ScreenHunter_02 Nov. 21 09.11

Man, I could sure camp in style at the Mojave National Preserve with this thing.
Of course, it might pass everything but a gas station.Winking smile I can see myself living in this after I retire very easily. Right at this very moment, I am about $1499 short of being able to buy this one; I just added the ad to this post for illustrative purposes only. If I went the truck camper option it would look like this:
ScreenHunter_03 Nov. 21 09.23

The outside shower would be okay in the desert in the summer, winter I am not so sure. Also I would have to buy a truck. But I think you can see why I am interested, just imagine parking it in the desert or mountains or woods somewhere- alone with only Mother Nature as company- no bass thumping music or loud exhaust rumbles to bother you. In other words, peace and quiet.

Well, there you have it, my most recent embarrassment and my wildest dream,
all in one post. Plus a plan for the future that I am certain that you won’t believe until you see it.

Later on,

MorongobillGoat

No comments:

Post a Comment