Thursday, May 2, 2013

A personal post

Just want to let folks know that I haven’t forgotten about this and my other blog. However, something has come up that might make it difficult for me to access it for a while after next Tuesday, May 7, at least for a few days.

It has been discovered in a routine eyeglass fitting and exam over at the Long Beach Veteran’s Hospital that I might possibly have a retinal tear in my right eye. I have had 2 exams, which are a little intrusive with actual touching of the eyeball with some sort of instrument, and have another next Tuesday. The reason for an additional one is to allow the blood inside the eye to dissipate so that the doctors can get a good, clear view of the retina surface- if a tear is found, an immediate laser surgery will be done to repair the damaged area.

Evidently this is mandatory with this sort of thing as the vitreous liquid inside the eyeball can leak through the torn surface and pool behind the retinal membrane, resulting in it bulging out and tearing away from the wall of the socket. Ouch! This would be a major event likely leading to blindness in the eye, hence the mandatory repair when a tear is found.

From my research, it is possible that I might not be allowed to read after the surgery for a time to be determined by the doctors, so we will just have to wait and see what happens.

It is quite possible that the next exam may not show a tear but something has to be the cause for the bleeding. Hopefully that will all be discovered next week.

My hope obviously is that no surgery will be necessary.

Morongobill

No comments:

Post a Comment