Okay folks. I talked with Mr. Steve Chapman of Questar this morning. We talked for about 8 minutes or so and seemed like the voice of reason and quite forthcoming about the process. In a nutshell, the company is in the exploratory phase and no decision has been made to even build the pipeline nor what route should be built once the decision has been made to build.
There are a whole lot of studies etc that must be done such as NEPA.
I did mention that if a decision was made to build in Big Morongo Canyon Preserve, it would be a battle royal, a firestorm of protest would erupt over the decision. He indicated awareness of the environmental sensitivity of the area and did mention that he had driven up the dirt road, but not in the preserve itself.
Mr. Chapman did mention a couple of times that this is very early in the process and that no decision had been made, and I will take him at his word.
If this is true then this gives those of us who oppose any further development within the BMCP and its’ adjacent ACEC a little breathing room; time that could be well spent in planning a response to the proposed development, learning more about it, and beginning the process of educating the people and their representatives to the potential danger that this development would mean to BMCP.
Here a few photographs taken from the web of oil pipelines in the desert to peruse for a few moments.
This will do for now. As mentioned yesterday, the plan is to go up to the preserve tomorrow and do a hike and take more photos and videos. If I am able, I will be going up tomorrow morning and hopefully will have another post up by noon on Thursday, so come back then.