Sunday, June 7, 2015

No more ignoring the obvious fact

That I am facing a diabetic future if I am not more careful.

8 months ago my doctor had routine blood tests done and the results were that I was close to the
the diabetes edge. Of course, I ignored the advice to lose weight and exercise, continuing on with
eating with reckless abandon.

Well you guess what happened, on April 15 my doctor gave me the “talk.” In a nice way, he told me that if I
didn’t change my ways, I would be diagnosed as a diabetic; in fact, my blood work said that I was “pre-diabetic.”

Here are the salient numbers to consider:

Hemoglobin A1C:                       6.3 (HIGH)      reference range is 4.3-5.6 % range.

Glucose:                                    142                     reference range is 60-100.

Triglycerides:                             367 (HIGH)      reference should be under 150.

The A1C is a 3 month average and is the proof that I have crossed the line. Now no one told me that I was supposed to fast before the bloodwork( I had no food but did get a Del Taco iced coffee on the way to the lab) so the Glucose result was tainted, but the A1C was all the proof needed for the diagnosis.

Further research has led me to believe that the high T reading was of equal concern as it might mean that my liver has gotten ‘fatty” enough to dump some of it into the bloodstream and that I might cross the line into even more trouble without
some sort of change happening as in right now.

My weight on the day of the Dr visit was 233 pounds( maybe 230 sans clothes etc) and I was doing no exercise program,
not even going out to the desert to hike.

Since then I have been riding the exercise bike almost every day without fail for 30 minutes and burning on average almost
200 calories a day at that. Yesterday, I did 2 30 minute rides with a total of 400+ calories expended. Unfortunately I over ate
and put on a pound.

As of this morning, I weighed 210 pounds, a loss of 20 pounds since April 15. I went cold turkey off sugar(still use a little honey or sugar in coffee- the first cup only then add coffee only later) and have had virtually zero sweets since then. I purchased an electronic scale and use it every morning. I also bought a glucose checker and have been testing about every other day.

As some of you may know, I am a shuttle bus driver and one cannot use injectable insulin and keep your commercial license.
The doctor placed me on Metformin 500 mg twice a day and I have been taking it religiously. I also am taking a fish oil gel tab to help with burning off the high triglycerides.

One thing that I have learned is that my Powerade Fruit Punch sports drink that I love and even blogged about was killing me.
Now that’s a strong statement I know and I hate to make it. But here is a fact that I just discovered yesterday but first let me also point out something that I had glossed over. Both Gatorade and Powerade have about 21 grams of sugar per 12 ounce serving. The bottles that I preferred were the 32 ounce PA size or over 50 grams of sugar. Now here is the kicker.

Powerade is sweetened with fructose from the corn sweetener that is used nowadays in virtually every packaged food in the market. Do the research, fructose is not good for you. It is like a silent killer over the long run and I believe that I am or was addicted to it. I was willfully ignorant and it almost cost me big time.

I plan on blogging further on my journey to escape a diabetic future here so stay tuned.

Anyway that’s it, hope to see you again.

Morongobill

No comments:

Post a Comment