Saturday, May 20, 2017

Trying out my new tentcot tonight for the first time!

The plan is to make an overnight camping stop at the Cima Dome area inside the Mojave
National Preserve. It is about 200 miles from me so a good 4 hour drive up and back, I am not
going to stress the Morongomobile in the first day of the heatwave coming. Highs expected today
are 95 at Kelso, 96 at Baker which is the home of the World’s Tallest Thermometer and only 81
at Cima!

The dangers to my car are climbing the Cajon Pass and the 18 mile grade up from Baker to reach
the Cima Road exit. Odds are after climbing the Cajon Pass, I will choose to take I 40 and exit Kelbaker
Road and reach Cima from the other side, swapping the major Baker grade for an easier and more scenic one from Kelso Depot up to Cima.

Some of you are aware that I quit the bus driving business and ended up transporting autos for a living,
supplementing my social security. The problem is that after driving or being a passenger for 200 miles or so,
I am just too tired to come home and immediately pack up and leave to drive another 100+ miles. It would
be nice to have a two day camping trip but it just isn’t possible for a while.

I really don’t have any cooking gear so the plan will be fast food and other junk for a day. But I will finally get
the chance to test out my KampRite oversized tentcot. With my thermarest pad inside it should hopefully be
well worth the money spent.

Here is a video of a guy using one out in the Canadian wilds that is well worth a viewing! I watched it two times
and so did my brother. Now this is just too big and bulky for anything but car camping, so if you are mainly a backpacker,|
I wouldn’t rush out to buy one.

No dogs in my tentcot!

I will put up a post of the trip within a couple of days so see you when you come back.

Morongobill

 

No comments:

Post a Comment